Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tin can-tastic

I have been super obsessed these days with interesting new reuse ideas. It means giving myself time to play, without a specific goal in mind... and it has taken me a long long time to let myself have this play time, and I am LOVING it. Whether some fantastic idea is born or not, it feeds my soul and that's for sure, so I'll just keep on with it, I do think I will... Anyway.

This is ultra simple but could be a cool alternative to disposable cups at a party.


This other idea is VERY simple and I guess I should advise you to wear gloves if you're trying this at home (you mad daredevils, you!) but just between you and me, this aluminum was surprisingly easy to work with and not at all dangerously sharp.


Take your sharp tools and snip off the top, and then cut lines all down the sides with your exacto knife.


Kind of squish it down, and your done! A sweet little candle holder. I think you could attach a little handle of some sort and use them as little hanging lanterns at an outdoor party in the evening...



I poked some holes down the sides with an embroidery needle for a little added flair. Also surprisingly easy to do. The needles goes in just like buttah, as they say in the east.
I had a lot of fun playing around with this can. I look forward to experimenting with this material even more. I guess you could say I'm a can-do kind of girl (please strike that pun from your memory, won't you? It's horribly embarassing).






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

try your hand at making some metal flowers. would love to see how yours turn out.

Teacher Tom said...

I've been enjoying your blog for awhile now. Lots of great stuff we can use! Thanks!

Kami said...

Thanks Teacher Tom!! I checked out your blog and it looks like great stuff. I can't wait to go back and take a closer look. Thanks so much for reading!
I actually hail from the Pacific NW as well!

HeatherBleasdell said...

these are so cute kami!